Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"just go as fast as you can!"

The other day me and my friends had a conversation discussing who we would pick (out of all of us) to drive us to the E.R. if we ever had to go.  It was unanimous. Our choice? Emily Mcgee, she drives like a maniac, but surprisingly, has never had a wreck.  We also all decided that the one person we DID NOT want to drive us to the E.R. was my boyfriend, Leone (Branden). He drives like a grandpa.  Little did I know that I would actually get to put our latter choice to the test Sunday night.

I was at Branden's apartment. And we were watching the "secret millionaire" show.  All of a sudden I couldn't breathe.  It passed quickly and I thought "that was funny, I've never felt like that before.." Then my chest started to feel tight, and I started taking quicker breaths.  You will laugh at this next part, I picked up my laptop and checked web md for a minute, and I put in my symptoms and it didn't even give me an answer there was just a window that popped up that said, "please seek medical attention immediately. "  I looked at Branden and said I think I need you to take me to the emergency room.  

First off, I give credit for Branden being calm and ready to help, but I did not appreciate the fact that he asks, "Are you driving? or me?" (keep in mind I am breathing rapidly and I'm feeling like my heart is speeding really fast) So I couldn't even yell at him for being an idiot.  The car ride there seemed like it lasted forever (which it probably did since he was driving) I eventually just begged him to start passing people and running red lights.  I felt like I was dying. My hands went numb and started to spasm.  I knew that I was about to pass out but I was determined to at least make it there.  

after I got there, they made me wait! like it wasn't an emergency, I guess they knew it wasn't because as it turns out I was hyperventilating or having a panic attack.  anyone interested in the physiology of it? if so read below, if not..skip this next paragraph

When the adrenal gland releases too much epinephrine over a long period of time, (due to stress) the heart responds by jumping, this shortened my breath for a little bit.  But then I started to take short shallow breaths, (because my diaphragm was becoming paralyzed,)  I was no longer pushing any CO2 out of my body.  We always think, oxygen good, carbon dioxide bad.  But in fact, the CO2 is needed to keep our bodies at a normal pH.  The whole time, I was getting a sufficient amount of oxygen, but I was giving off too much carbon dioxide.  So my pH went up.  this causes numbing in the hands and face and causes the muscles to become weak and spasm.  So when you see people breathing into a paper bag, they are taking in the excess of CO2 that they were letting out.  yay physiology..

So they did all these tests, to make sure I didn't have a heart condition, or that there wasn't an underlying disease that usually produces attacks like these, and so far I am clear.  I was surprised at first because I did not feel stressed at the time of the attack, I was watching TV! but after last week, me and my friends kinda see where it came from.  Overall, this semester has been a stressful one.  I did not think that 19 hours would be a big deal, but now that I'm in it, it is.  Please pray that nothing like this happens to me again.

Thank you to Dr. Mckibben for meeting me at the E.R. and serving as my personal doctor.  And to Mrs. Mckibben for also waiting in the E.R. They are like my Starkville mom & dad and are always there for me.  

You want to know the irony of all of this?? Last week was really stressful because i had 7 (100pt) human phys quizes.  And then everything that happened was something that I had studied about. And I have the actual test tomorrow..

But school is temporary and this life is temporary.

Isaiah 32:17
"And the effect of righteousness will be peace,
and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever"

1 comment:

  1. HEY HEY! I just found your blog... of COURSE this would happen to you!!! :) I miss yoU!

    ReplyDelete